Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Indigo Junction Trench Topper

The Indigo Junction Trench Topper is a great little jacket.  There are three different styles included in the pattern.  All have different lengths, button options and sleeve length options.  

I originally purchased this as a "kit" at the Sewing Expo in Puyallup, Washington a few years ago.  The kit came with the pattern, checked fabric, the teal fabric and 4 wooden buttons.  The checked fabric is a wool blend and the teal is silk.  The kit was meant for view 3 - the shorter version with 3/4 length sleeves.  There was barely enough fabric to complete it as well!



On that same trip to Washington, I was fortunate enough to be able to take a ferry to Victoria, British Columbia as well. Victoria is where I purchased the handmade ceramic buttons for the front and the pocket. There is a wonderful needlework shop in Victoria - The Button & Needlework Boutique.  If you are ever in Victoria, it is well worth a stop - they have needlework, yarns, buttons, and accessories.  It is a very nice store!

Close up of the ceramic buttons


The pattern piece for the pocket is an interesting shape.  It's a large square, with a smaller square on top of it to form the fold over flap.  I wanted to add a bit of interest to the edges of the fold over flap so I decided to fray the edges.   First, you sew the lining to the fabric right sides together up to the point where the flap would fold over.  Stop there and sew the other side the same way.  Turn the fabric so wrong sides are together and then sew around the remaining pocket flap with tiny stitches - then fray away!
Close up of the button on the pocket

I lined the jacket with some brown and black marble dyed rayon I had in my stash.  The jacket doesn't call for a lining, but I prefer the finished look of a lining.  Plus I was afraid that the checked fabric would snag if it didn't have a lining.


Here are some more views of the lining and the teal seam finishes on my dress form.

The four wooden buttons came with the kit.  After sewing them onto the back ties, the ties sagged under their weight so I hand sewed the ties to the jacket to eliminate the sagging.


Here's the finished product.  It's a fun little jacket to wear with jeans or a skirt.  Hope you like it!


Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment