Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November Make A Garment A Month Challenge Project Determined and a Bonus Project Completed!!

This month's theme is "November nights".  To me - November nights means something warm and cozy and comfy.  So, continuing on my stashbusting quest, I found this polka dot polar fleece in the closet.

I originally wanted to make some pajama bottoms, but I only have a little over a yard so that wouldn't work.  So instead, I'm going to make Vogue 8854 - view A - the sleeveless vest pictured on the pattern envelope below.  I also found some matching turquoise spandex in the stash that I'll use to trim the armholes and possibly the hemline too.  And, that darn turquoise soutache braid that I tried to incorporate into my last project (but didn't work) just happens to match this one too!  I'll see where I can fit it in.


The pattern calls for 4 snaps too and I found some in my stash already covered in black - Score!  The snaps were probably leftover from something I donated to charity, but decided to remove them first (I tend to do that alot!).

Bonus Project!


Here's my bonus project - just completed tonight.  This month as part of our sewing guild's charity commitment, we are making pillowcases to be donated to CASA - Court Appointed Special Advocates.  The pillowcase features a drawstring around the end so it can double as a bag.  The idea is that kids can use the pillowcase for it's intended purpose and also, it can be used as a bag to carry out clothes or other personal belongings when a family situation arises and they need to leave their home.

I tried to find some kid related fabric in my stash and found this cute goldfish print I bought a few years ago.  I have no idea what I originally purchased it for, but it seemed to fit this purpose perfectly.  I did purchase the coordinating blue and orange polka dot fabric to match.  The ribbon in the casing is finished with buttons so it doesn't slip thru the buttonholes.  


Here's a close-up of the goldfish.  I just love how they all have their own names!  Hopefully the children who receive these pillowcases will enjoy the fish and come up with their own names too.

Since this bonus project is complete and it was from the stash - I can now add it to my stashbustin' total.  I made 3 of these pillowcases for a total of 2.25 yards sewn, bringing my balance up to 41.75 yards total since July.  I am jammin!

However, we are going on vacation soon and I fear my tendency to buy fabric on vacation will set me back a bit on my quest.  I will try hard though - to only buy things that coordinate with something I already have in the stash.  But, if I do sway from my goal, please don't scold me!

Until next time - Happy Sewing!



4 comments:

  1. You will love this pattern-I made View C in a thin, drapey knit and it has become one of my favorite kick around pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Always good to hear a pattern is going to work out.

      Delete
  2. You have to buy fabric on holidays - and you can reward yourself for such great stashbusting this year. I think this top is going to be stunning - bright, cosy and cheerful, just right for the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SarahLiz. I've got one vote for fabric. Yippee!

      Delete