Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February FrankenPattern Muslin completed

I've completed the top half of the practice muslin for the February MAGAM Challenge and I think there might be something wrong with me.  After reading other reviews for this garment on PatternReview.com - the majority of the people commented that the straps are a nightmare - I didn't think they were that big of a deal personally.  I really think there might be something wrong with my sewing brain!  Hopefully I won't mess up the straps on the actual finished product!

Here's a pic of the practice muslin of just the top portion (with yoga pants):

I used a size 12 for the bust and shoulder area and tapered to a 14 at the waist.  I did need to pin out a little over 5/8" at the center front, which I will transfer over to the final garment.  Other than that, I think it fits ok.  I did make a small boo boo on the front strap (sewing from the notch instead of the dot), but I was able to still pin it together in the muslin to get a test fit.  My birds are upside down on this front straps I know - I was trying to squeeze out the straps from the little bit of scrap fabric that I had and it doesn't matter here anyways.


Here's the side view.  Doesn't look to attractive with that little bit of skin flapping over the front near the armhole.  I was very surprised that it wasn't too high in the under arm area though.



Back view.  I might deepen the darts a little more on the finished garment, but I'm not sure yet.  I plan to fully line the entire dress and the weight of the skirt with the lining, might just be enough to even out those wrinkles along the back.  Also - I plan to underline the top portion with white and line the top with a blue rayon lining fabric from the stash. The skirt portion will be lined with a white polyester lining from the stash as well.  I did a test of the blue versus the white behind the main fabric and the blue was enough to just darken those Celtic knots a little too much - hence the reason for the white underlining.  No big deal - just 3 more pieces of fabric to just out.

That's it for now - now I need to cut this puppy out and start sewing!

Happy Sewing Everyone!

Star




4 comments:

  1. You have been busy! That's an almost as good as perfect fit. Those birdies are singing..! Can't wait to see the real deal, it's going to be such a beautiful dress :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! I hope it turns out as good as I have it pictured in my head!

      Delete
  2. This looks like quit the undertaking. And you have passed with flying colours. I wouldn't even have attempted this. It does look complicated. I too eagerly await the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen. I'm working on the top of the finished product right now and so far so good!

      Delete