Thursday, January 15, 2015

January MAGAM Determined

It's taken me awhile this month to finally decide on what to make for my January MAGAM Challenge project.  I'm embarking on a big "pattern clean-out and re-org" project that's going to take awhile, but I'll be much more organized when I'm done - and - I won't keep buying the same patterns every time they go on sale at the fabric store!

Here's what I'll be making.  Vogue 8834 - a Katherine Tilton pattern.


I'll be making view C - the version with the longer sleeves.  The pattern calls for a whopping 17 buttons!  I think I'll opt to have all different buttons rather than matching ones.  This way, I can use up some of my lonely single silver buttons from the stash!  And speaking of stash, yes, this will be another stashbuster project.  This fabric is a wonderful cotton shirting that I picked up a few years ago at Robert Talbott's in Carmel Valley, California.  It has a wonderful hand to it and I'm hoping the stripes will look great in this top.

I am concerned about that big collar so I decided to give the instructions a quick read thru first.  Thank goodness I did, because I'll also be making one big change to start.  The big collar is designed to be a single layer - so the backside of your fabric would show.  The backside of my fabric looks ok, but some of the silver shimmer is lost so I'll make the collar in a double thickness instead.

I won't be making a muslin for this project so if any other alterations are needed - I'll make them on the fly.  The instructions also say to french seam all of the seams.  I'm going to skip the french seaming on this first version, but if it turns out ok and doesn't need alot of alterations, future versions will be french seamed.

That's it for now.  Wish me luck!

Happy Sewing everyone!

Star

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Why have I been waiting to make this????

With so many great views of this pattern on PatternReview.com - I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to make this cardigan.  It's my new favorite pattern!  McCall's 6844.


I made View C with the high/low peplum.

The sewing is quick and easy and it can be made in just a few hours - including cutting time!

I'm digging my fabric choice too. This is an acrylic knit with lots of little "nubbies" on it.  The fabric I picked up at Hart's Fabrics in Santa Cruz a few years ago.  It's been aging in the stash for awhile and finally came out to make this great cardigan.

There will be a few more of these cardigans added to the wardrobe too - maybe in a red or a blue.

I'm starting off the new year with a clean slate on the stashbustin' front.  This cardigan took 1.625 yards to make so I'm off to a small but good start.

Until next time - Happy Sewing everyone!