Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Pattern/Fabric Mismatch

June's MAGAM Challenge of "Joyful June" wasn't turning out so Joyful for me.  This is Butterick 5612 - at least the start of it....  Halfway thru sewing it together, it was reminding me of a hospital gown.


There was just so much room in the underarm and sleeve area.  And although I like the color, it was just shouting institutional wardrobe to me.

And, to top it off, the DH walked into the room when it was on the dress form and said "why are you making that - it looks frumpy".  I have to admit that I agreed with him.

Trying it on didn't get any better.....

As you can see I hadn't sewn the side seams yet, but it was still not working for me.  

I shall not despair though as there is a happy ending afterall!  It fits much better in the bin than on me!

Oh well - you win some and you lose some!

Lesson learned from this dress - I think this was a case of using completely the wrong fabric for the pattern.  A nice print of some sort that had much more drape than my fabric would work out great for this pattern.  My fabric was a cotton or silk of some sort with not enough drape.  Plus, when I tried it on, it was a bit itchy around the neckline - so even if I did finish the dress, I'd end up with a nice pink rash around the neck to match the light blue color of the dress!

I'm still counting this fabric in the stashbustin quest though.

Total for this dress = 3.5 yards
Total YTD sewn = 53.625

Until next time - Happy sewing everyone!  I hope your next garment is more successful than this one!

Star


14 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have a wadder, but you learn from them. It's nice to know I'm not the only on this happens to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Bonnie. This happens to everyone and you do learn from them.

      Delete
  2. I agree, perhaps it is the choice of fabric. I would still finish it and donate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late to finish it. It's already in the garbage bin.

      Delete
  3. Good for you to cut your losses and move on! Life's too short. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have done the same thing-chosen a quiet color like that blue grey and then could not make it work. There is something about that particular shade which is depressing when used in large areas. I love the color but cannot make it work in my wardrobe or my home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's not working, I agree, the garbage bin is the only place. Get it out of sight and out of mind, and then move on. I usually bin the pattern as well in this situation. Pity it didn't work out, but then some garments are like this - an experience we sewers all share from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. This time I am keeping the pattern and will try it again, at a later date, with the correct fabric.

      Delete
  6. What a pity this didnt work, especially as it was meant to be a joyful June project. I had to smile though when I saw the photo of it in the bin!! If its almost done perhaps you could finish it and give it to charity? Someone might love a designer hospital gown ;) haha ! Better luck next time, we all have duffs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shame it didn't work out, those neck pleats are cute but the fabric didn't help it, nice to see its not only me who has projects that just don't work sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more I look at your garment, I think that it would have looked good on me! I like my clothes loose and am always accused of sorta frumpy. You on the other hand are an excellent seamstress who makes and wears beautifully fitted clothing. You had me at 'rash'. Chiffon or georgette could work as a blouse for sure. It's fun to laugh at ourselves sometimes- it makes our successes so much sweeter. I'm sure you have something really sweet up your fitted sleeve for the opposite challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! Yes it is much better to laugh at oneself from time to time. I've just started cutting out my opposites project too. Guess I need to post what I'm doing!

      Delete