June's MAGAM Challenge of "Joyful June" wasn't turning out so Joyful for me. This is Butterick 5612 - at least the start of it.... Halfway thru sewing it together, it was reminding me of a hospital gown.
There was just so much room in the underarm and sleeve area. And although I like the color, it was just shouting institutional wardrobe to me.
And, to top it off, the DH walked into the room when it was on the dress form and said "why are you making that - it looks frumpy". I have to admit that I agreed with him.
Trying it on didn't get any better.....
As you can see I hadn't sewn the side seams yet, but it was still not working for me.
I shall not despair though as there is a happy ending afterall! It fits much better in the bin than on me!
Oh well - you win some and you lose some!
Lesson learned from this dress - I think this was a case of using completely the wrong fabric for the pattern. A nice print of some sort that had much more drape than my fabric would work out great for this pattern. My fabric was a cotton or silk of some sort with not enough drape. Plus, when I tried it on, it was a bit itchy around the neckline - so even if I did finish the dress, I'd end up with a nice pink rash around the neck to match the light blue color of the dress!
I'm still counting this fabric in the stashbustin quest though.
Total for this dress = 3.5 yards
Total YTD sewn = 53.625
Until next time - Happy sewing everyone! I hope your next garment is more successful than this one!