I wanted to make View A with the gathered sides but just didn't have enough fabric so I made view B instead. This actually turned out to be a good thing. When I started constructing the front and backs (without the side flaps added yet), but bust darts were in the right place. However, when I added the side flaps, the weight of the fabric pulled the darts down about 1.5 inches so they are now pointing to the wrong place. However, the fabric has such a busy print, that I really don't think anyone will notice.
The flappy things (for lack of a better description) on the sides are quite large.
But, they do have pockets in them, which is always a bonus!
The back looks ok. This dress is not really that spectacular, but it will make a nice and comfortable addition to the wardrobe. I did not care for the construction method of the neckline and armholes. First - you iron on staytape in the middle of the seamline around all three areas. Next, you trim the seam allowance by 3/8" and then sew on the neckbands and armbands at a 1/4" seam allowance. I did this for the neckline, but somehow either threw away or lost the pieces for the armholes and ended up just using bias tape instead. I think it would be better to first, trim the pattern pieces by 3/8" in the neckline and armholes, then apply the staytape at the seamline - that way it's 3 less things you have to trim manually because they are already cut to the correct size.
Just a short post today. Hope everyone is having a good August!
Yardage for this dress = 3 yards
YTD Total = 68.125
Happy sewing everyone!