Thursday, April 6, 2017

The 2017 Sewing Garage Sale is coming!

Time to mark those calendars again!  The 2017 Sacramento Chapter of the American Sewing Guild's Annual Garage sale is quickly approaching!  And bonus this year - it will be in a new, bigger location!!

April 15, 2017
Orangevale Community Center
6826 Hazel Avenue
Orangevale, CA  95662
9:00 am - 1:00 pm

Get there early as the line starts forming at about 8:00 am!  

If you would like to sell some of your own items, please click on this link for more information.

So far, I have 81 items to sell at the garage sale - which includes 53.75 yards of fabric.  So, if I stay below that amount in my yardage buying, I will be still be ahead in my stashbustin' challenge - well - at least that's how I'm justifying it in my head!  

I've already boxed up everything I plan on selling this year before taking pics of the items, but I thought I would show some of the garments I've made this past year from previous garage sale fabric purchases to show you some of the fabulous finds you will come across!

Vogue 9077
The multi-print rayon in this dress was purchased at the garage sale.  

Asymmetrical Skirt
The boiled wool and the lining fabric were both from the garage sale....

Simplicity 1587
Nice rayon print purchased at last year's sale....

Butterick 5925
The faces knit print was from last year's sale and the polka dot was from a previous year's sale.

Vogue 8553
A nice knit print from last year's sale (I think - could have been from the year before).

All in all - lots of good finds!  This year, I will be focusing more on finding knit prints and matching from fabrics that have been in the stash for awhile so I'll be bringing fabric swatches with me to match!  At least that's my plan at the moment - anything can happen on the day of the sale!

Happy Sewing everyone and I hope to see you at the sale!


Tuesday, April 4, 2017

McCall's 7405

It has been ages since my last post, but hey, I've been busy!  Though, not too busy to squeeze in a little simple sewing here and there and this dress was a super simple one to make.  Seeking some warmer weather so I could actually wear the new dress, we headed to beautiful San Diego for the weekend.

I bought this fabric last year from Joann's because I just LOVE how the colors blend together.  It has been sitting in the stash waiting for the perfect pattern to come along and low and behold, McCall's came up with the winning pattern. This is McCall's 7405 - a pattern designed for the beginning sewer. I made view D with a little elastic casing at the waist creating a blouson effect (I think that's the right word!).  It has a belt as well.

There is a casing around the front neck and the back neck pieces with a tie at the back neck - so no zippers or buttons in this dress!  There is supposed to be a slit in one of the side seams, but I decided to just sew both side seams to the hem.  Also - I made a size Medium and I think it's just a little bit too big.  An easy alteration to make it a little smaller though - just unpick the casings at the sides, sew up the sides and restitch the casing down.  Should be simple enough to fix.  

Here I am trying to blend in with the locals....

  Ahhhhh - don't you just love the ocean!

That's it for me today - just a quick post.  I'm not sure which took longer to do - the sewing of the dress, or the time it took me to write up the post today!

We're adding this puppy to the stashbustin total too!

Total for this dress = 3.5 yards
YTD Total = 15.625 yards

Happy sewing everyone!