Wednesday, April 26, 2017

April MAGAM Completed - Sewing Workshop Poppy Vest

I hadn't decided on my April MAGAM project until this past weekend.  I was thinking about what I would wear to the sewing guild's Spring Event where we will have Linda Lee from The Sewing Workshop as a guest speaker. The event is this coming Saturday, April 29th, so I didn't have much time to make something, but I wanted it to be a Sewing Workshop pattern.

Then I thought of this gorgeous fabric purchased from the sewing garage sale....

There was only a yard of it and I immediately thought of The Sewing Workshop's Poppy Vest pattern. I have made the pattern before, but it has been a long time ago.  So off I go to my pattern stash to pull out it out.  And of course, I don't have enough fabric.  I am short about 9 inches in length and about 6 inches in width.  

So, off to the fabric stash to find something that matches and as luck would have it, I had a piece of plain black wool that was about the same weight and drape as the fabric above.  I added a 10 inch piece that runs from the left front, thru the left shoulder, down to the bottom right - basically just cutting the fabric in half and adding the strip in.  

So now I had enough length wise, I needed to add a section to the left front to make up the width needed.  I added about an 8 inch piece along the left hand side.

Basically, the fabric now looks like it has a giant "T" running thru it.

Once cut out, it was looking a bit plain so I decided to add some embellishment threads to the black pieces:

Now we are getting somewhere.  The black fuzzy is a piece of yarn.  The green is a ribbon I had in my scrapbooking stash and the others were various threads and yarns I had laying around.  Here's a close-up of the threads:

And voila!  The finished product!




I covered a button using the reverse side of the fabric.

I will pair with with some black leggings and either a t-shirt or a turtleneck (not sure of the weather yet for that day).  I think this turned out pretty cute!

Total yardage needed to complete this vest was 1.625 yards.  So after piecing together what I had, I made it work.  And of course, I'm adding this vest to the stashbustin' total for the year.

So far, I'm up to 17.25 yards YTD.  A bit of a slow start this year, but the important thing is that I'm still moving forward and bustin' that stash!

Happy sewing everyone!

Star


10 comments:

  1. So elegant! The couched threads really take it to the designer level. You inspire me with every garment.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks as tho it was a totally planned designer piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressed with how you pulled this together. Creative thinking outside the box! Next time I have the perfect fabric for a project but maybe not quite enough I will remember this bit of inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you clever girl! A gorgeous original!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stroke of genius. I love how you play around with fabrics. Hope everyone was suitably impressed on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was great! Linda Lee, the designer, said she liked what I did with her pattern.

      Delete