Sunday, July 30, 2017

July MAGAM Garment completed - and on time too!

I am finally caught up with my sewing posts and have completed my July MAGAM Challenge just in the nick of time!  Here is it - Vogue 8553.

I've made this dress before and it's a fairly simple sew.  I had enough fabric this time to make the belt too.  But you know what?  I don't think I really like it.


Is it the color or the fact that I've gained 10 pounds and need to lose them?


I don't know.  Maybe it's the belt?  I like the first one I made - it's in a dark burgundy print but I didn't have enough yardage to make the belt for that one.  I'll give it a wear tomorrow and see.  It might just end up in the donate pile.

Anyways, I'm still counting the fabric I used as it was from the stash.  Here are my current stats:

Yardage for this dress = 2.625
YTD yardage: 40.41 yards

That's it for me today!

Happy sewing everyone!

Star


Friday, July 28, 2017

Vogue 9169 and The Sewing Workshop Urban Pants - May MAGAM Challenge Project #2

This was the 2nd part of my May MAGAM project.  The top is Vogue 9169 - View A and the pants are the Sewing Workshop Urban Pant.


The t-shirt pattern looked like it had great potential from the pic on the envelope - an asymmetrical hemline, a bit of interest on the side - all characteristics that are right up my sewing alley.

Yet when I saw what it was happening on my backside after completing the blouse, I had other ideas....  Far too much pulling and tugging happening on the booty portion for me.  I could just picture the lighter knit fabric flapping around as I walked - that would not be a pretty sight!

The front didn't look too bad...

But I decided to cut it off to avoid the flap action happening in the back.  You can see where I pinned it below to mark the new hemline.

The bamboo tie dye fabric I purchased at Vogue Fabrics while in Chicago last year.  The coordinating print I had in the stash - it was purchased at the ASG Sewing Garage sale back in 2015.  I still have a few remaining pieces to sew from that year.... Oh well - they will keep aging in the stash.  The straight hem looks much better - no flapping about and I still have the interest of the side panel showing - so not a complete loss.



As for the Sewing Workshop Urban Pants - they are a cute style, but the crotch is way, way too low.  Not that I hike my leg up like this all of the time, but even with just a slight walking forward motion, it starts to pull in the front.  



On the plus side, I really like the interest at the bottom hemline.  There are no side seams in these pants - instead, the back piece wraps around to the center of the front leg and that forms the "side seam" if you will.  There are two panels sewn to the bottom edge with a loop and a button, creating the fun little opening at the bottom. No pockets although you might be able to engineer some small ones into the front seams, or just do patch pockets.

For an elastic waist pant - they don't look half  bad from the back - I just need to work on the front crotch line for my next pair.  The waistband is interesting on these pants. The elastic starts at the center leg seam and goes around the back to the other center leg seam leaving about a 10 inch section in the front of the pants completely flat.  

The white linen for these pants was left over from the Flint pants I made for the month of May too.  Will I make these pants again - maybe - just need to figure out the crotch issue.  

Here are  my stashbustin stats for these two garments:

T-shirt: 1.5 yards
Urban Pants: 1.66 yards
Total YTD = 37.785 yards

Happy sewing everyone!

Star

Sunday, July 23, 2017

July MAGAM Project - Vogue 8553 Again!

Just a quick post today as I haven't yet said what my July MAGAM project will be.  With a theme of stashbustin - I am all over it!

I will be making Vogue 8553 out of a knit I purchased at our ASG Sewing Garage Sale sometime before 2013 so it's been in the stash for a few years.  I've tried for the last 4 months to find a coordinating piece of the darker purple to make the tie and the front inset and neck pieces yet I've come up empty handed so the whole darn dress will be made out of this fabric instead.


I've made this pattern before and learned that the front slit is about 1" too low for my liking so I'll be raising that slit up.

That's it for me today.  Wish me luck!

Happy sewing everyone!

Star

Saturday, July 22, 2017

June MAGAM Sewalong - a very delayed post

Life has been very, very busy as of late and I am waaayyy behind in keeping the blog up to date.  So - if you please bear with me, I'll be playing catch up over the next few posts.  First off, is the finished garment for the June MAGAM challenge.  It has truly been so long that I can't remember what the theme for June was (sorry Sarah Liz!), but this is the garment that I made.


Do you recognize the fabric?  It was a recent purchase at this year's  ASG Sewing Garage Sale.  It was a steal at 2 yards for $4.00!  Do you recognize the pattern?  It is Simplicity 2369 that I have made once before. Amazingly enough, I actually stuck with the exact dress pattern I originally planned on using for this fabric! I first made this dress back in 2014 in a black and white circle print you can see here.



It looks pretty homely just hanging on the dress form....

I extended the tie lengths this time to make it easier to tie.


I love the fit of the back too - it's nice and smooth.  One day I'll learn how to take a straight photo!

Overall, for a wrap dress (actually it's more of a mock-wrap dress), this is a super comfy dress to wear and the front wrap doesn't gap open at all.  This will be a pattern that I will make over and over again - this is just version 2!

Stashbustin stats:
This dress = I only had 2 yards and I used every bit of it!
YTD yardage = 34.625

Happy sewing everyone!
Star