Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Goals for 2018 and my January MAGAM Project(s)!

Hi everyone!  It's now half way thru January and I have been thinking long and hard on my sewing goals for the year and I have quite a few!  I've broken down my goals into 4 different categories:

Garments to tackle:
- Jeans!  Let's face it - my bubble butt-to-waist ratio is impossible to find in RTW jeans and I am constantly dealing with gaposis at the back waist.  Having a decent pair of nice fitting jeans has been on my to-sew list for far too long and it's finally time to tackle a pair, or two, or three.....
- Pants - Same issue as above - These too have been on the to-sew list for the same reason.
- Bras - I am not a fan of bras, period.  I take mine off as soon as I get home - sometimes even on the drive home!  Maybe it's because I have never had a decent fitting bra - one that doesn't feel like a straight jacket or keeps riding up all of the time.  Is that even possible to find?  Maybe a handmade bra will be answer to my lingerie dilemma!
- Sew something reversible - not sure what - but something!
- Start sewing more Burda patterns!  My wardrobe has been in a boring slump lately and I'm finding myself wearing the same things all of the time.  I have previously subscribed to the Burda magazine for years and have a ton of cool patterns just waiting to be traced and cut out.  Time to start looking thru those mags and add some interesting pieces back into the wardrobe!

Using up the stash:
- Continue to sew thru the stash towards my New York shopping trip!  I plan to sew another 100 yards this year.
- Sort thru all of my scraps and get rid of the teenie tiny ones and the ones I don't truly see myself using.
- Sort thru all of my current stash and if I don't love it, it's time for it to move on.  Those lovely pieces will be sold at this year's Sewing Garage sale which is April 28th this year so that gives me approximately 4 months to complete this task.  Add all of the remaining pieces to the "Cora" app.

Tracking:
- As you are aware, I already track how much fabric I sew, but I'd also like to track how much fabric I purchase throughout the year so truly get a grasp of how much fabric I have and just how far away (or near!) that New York trip is.  I believe the Cora app will help me accomplish this - along with my trusty Excel spreadsheet that I currently use to track my sewing progress throughout the year.
- Track how much I'm spending on my hobby - this could be a scary one.....
- Track my pattern usage.  I have alot of the Big 4 patterns and not so many Indie patterns.  I need to give some of those unopened patterns a try!

For fun:
- Redecorate the sewing room this year.  I have two awesome ideas so far!

January MAGAM Project(s)

My January MAGAM is going to be three garments - all pretty simple and all using the same knit fabric.  I purchased this knit at last year's sewing garage sale and there was a total of 3.25 yards and it was 60 inches wide so there was quite alot of yardage to work with!  Here's the knit:



And here are the patterns I'll be using:


For the Vogue 8918 dress - I'll be making View B - the one with the different colored sleeves.  I have a small scrap piece of black knit that I'll be using for the sleeves.  The Simplicity 1642 pattern will be the top - again, using the black knit for the top yoke portion.  And lastly, I'll use the rest of the fabric to make my trusty two-hour turtleneck pattern that I just love!

Update on Butterick 6377

My current project of the Butterick blouse using up multiple scraps has come to a stand still.  After adding the strips of printed elastic to the seamlines, it seems to be missing something on the side with all of the black.  I'm thinking a pocket or something?  It still needs to be hemmed, but I think she'll hang out on the dress form for a few days while I figure out how to add some interest to break up that vast sea of blackness.



Until next time - Happy sewing everyone!

Star

3 comments:

  1. Oh thats a lovely top, perhaps a removable flower brooch for those days when you want some whimsey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think adding anything else would be too much - it's perfect right now!

    ReplyDelete