Friday, February 23, 2018

Vogue 8918 - Even Better the Second Time Around!

I am super duper happy with my second version of Vogue 8918.  This is made from a thicker knit that doesn't have as much stretch as the last version I made. 



When I first started sewing the bust darts, I held it up and thought "uh-oh, I don't think this is going to work", but I kept on sewing. 

And then when the back darts were sewn and I could finally try it on for fitting purposes, I knew it was going to work. 

I couldn't resist using the bright blue serger thread on the inside too!

With my gray tights, blue shoes (which are in the donate pile at the moment - I took them off right after this photo!), and my orange necklace painted with fingernail polish, it's a winner! 

I also managed to squeeze  in a new curtain for the master bath.  There was only one yard of this available at the store and after the additional percentage off for the end of the bolt, plus my coupon, I figured what the heck!  I had some curtain lining fabric in the stash and if this curtain will give a few more years life to our existing bathroom before I finally get fed-up with it and break out the sledgehammer, then I think it was worth it.  

Pretty simple grommet top curtain that gave me all kinds of grief though.  My header was initially 3 layers thick and the grommets kept popping loose.  I tried to cut out the middle layer underneath the grommets, but that didn't work either.  So eventually, I just cut off the double fold and used some tape to finish the top edge.  In  my mind that is just the wrong way to make a curtain header, but hey, it's in the bathroom so I don't really care.  And no, I didn't need an entire yard to make this, but after messing up the top edge, I'm glad I had the extra fabric.


Sneak Peek:

Here's a sneaky peeky at two projects that are almost finished....


Just check out that back seam - how well it lines up.  I can only work on this dress in small time increments.  If you keep starring at the photo, you will know why....


Stashbustin stats:

Vogue 8918 dress = 1.5 yards
Bathroom curtain and lining = 2 yards
Total YTD = 9.25 yards

Remaining yardage to sew to meet my 100 yard goal = 90.75 yards.  Seems a bit daunting at the moment, but I'll get there!

What's next?:

Next up, after finishing the two other dresses above is, yes, another dress!  This will be called my "Electric Butterfly" dress.  Just check out this fabric!


Until my next post - Happy Sewing Everyone!

Star

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Butterick 6377 - Done!

This could be my new fave t-shirt pattern.  With it's asymmetrical hemline, great fit thru the bust and shoulders, and the overall comfy factor, it's a win-win!



You may recall that I started this project with a bunch of leftover scraps from the stash.

After sewing the main body together, it was looking rather plain so I started playing with my printed elastic to try and jazz it up a bit....

It still seemed like it was missing something so it hung on my dressform in it's almost finished state for awhile until I figured out what it needed.

The missing element was a pocket!  Yes indeed - a little pocket to break up that black side and add some more interest to all of those intersecting elastics!

Here's a close-up of the neckline and some of the printed elastic on the shoulder front.


I considered adding a pocket to the back somewhere, but I'm glad a didn't. 

I really like this new top.  After it's first wear to work last week - it still looked good at the end of the day and the knit fabrics retained their shape.  I can see a few more of these in my wardrobe for this year.  Considering this was a scrap project, I think it turned out great!  Now - on with the stashbustin info:

Stashbustin update:

Total yardage for this blouse = 1.75
YTD yardage sewn = 5.75
Remaining yards to reach my 100 yard goal = 94.25

What's next:

Hmmm - I have three things cut out at the moment, another Vogue 1233 dress, another Vogue 8918  dress (in thay crazy blue/gray/orange fabric) and I just cut out a Matilda dress from Megan Nielsen in this cute green/yellow cotton batik with turtles on it:

I am deep into the stash sorting/organizing/documenting project and I will have alot of yardage to sell at this year's sewing garage sale so stay tuned! 

Until next time - Happy sewing everyone!