Saturday, March 31, 2018

The Liverpool Shirt by Amy Butler - My M-A-D March MAGAM Make

The theme for March's MAGAM challenge was "Make A Dress" something - or MAD March.  I opted to make a dress shirt and this could possibly be the best shirt pattern I have ever made.  It has an awesome armscye, perfectly placed darts, nicely fitted thru the torso yet roomy enough to not be restricting, and a nicely shaped collar befitting of a shirt named "The Liverpool".


I originally cut out the tunic length, but shortened it to 1 inch longer than the shirt length on the pattern.  Essentially, I cut off 5 inches from the tunic length - which was looking a bit "lab coatish" on me and I preferred the shirt length. 

The shirt has two darts in the front that are topstitched down:

A french seam on the center back adds to the detailing of the two back darts (which are topstitched down too).

My fabric is an abstract garden print quilting cotton from my stash, which I coordinated with a matching fabric I also had in the stash.  It was pure coincidence that the little ant on the coordinating fabric appears to be marching out of the radish row to his left.  The orange buttons were from my stash too.

I used the coordinating fabric on the inside of the collar stand, along with the sleeve cuffs.  Here you can see the unique shape of the collar too. 

 And the necklace that I recently painted orange seems to go quite well with my new blouse!

The "cuffs" are stitched to the inside of the sleeve and simply turned up to give the appearance of separate cuffs.

I love the shaping of the back too! I can see a few more of these blouses in my future.  The fit is fantastic!


What else is in the sewing queue?

As I tend to sew on multiple garments at one time - here's what else has been running under my presser foot lately. 

The green leaf print rayon will be Butterick 6168 - a Lisette dress pattern I've been wanting to make for a long time...

Matilda #1 will be getting a sister with this Robert Talbott cotton....

I found this Mariposa Top UFO in my sewing stash that needs to be completed....

And OMG - could this be jeans in my future!!!!!

Lots of sewing happening in my room lately!  I hope you have been stitching loads of garments too!

Latest Stashbustin' Stats:

Yardage for this shirt = 3 yards
YTD yards sewn = 26.25 yards
Remaining yardage to reach 100 yard goal = 73.75 yards

Happy sewing everyone!

Star

No comments:

Post a Comment