Pages

Friday, September 7, 2018

The Sparrow Top - Brown Bag Challenge Project

For the last two months, the DH and I have been working on a big house project and my weekends were pretty much consumed by that.  I did manage to squeeze in a few projects here and there, but the blog posting fell by the wayside.  Thankfully, the project is now finished (Hallelujah!) so I can catch up on some long overdue posts!

After the ASG's annual garage sale, the remaining unsold fabric is boxed up and then sorted at a later date to be donated to various charities.  Some of these unloved pieces of fabric, make their way into brown paper bags for our annual Brown Bag Challenge.

How's it work you ask?  During one of our monthly guild meetings, the sealed, brown bags are piled onto the center of a table.  Each member, then gets to select a bag with no peeking!  When it's your turn, you can either select a new bag, or steal one of the fabrics already selected.  You then have two months to make something out of your selection.

Of course I decided to steal for mine and here's what I got!  This lovely piece of clothing printed fabric.  I'm pretty sure it's a poly blend of some sort.  It has the drape of a rayon, yet there has to be some poly in it somewhere.


There was only a little over one yard of this fabric so a small project was in my future.  I had been eyeing the Sparrow Top by Liola Patterns for quite a while and when patterns went on sale on Indiesew, I decided to take the plunge and give this pdf pattern a try.  I'm not a great lover of pdf patterns, but since this was just a tank top, I thought it couldn't be to painful to tape everything together.


I really like this top!  It is sewn together using french seams and the way the collar flips around to the outside, leaves a nice finished edge around the neckline too. 


I made a size Medium and it's a little roomy, but not to big.  For my next one (which is already cut out), I'll be taking in the sides just a wee bit.

For the collar, I found some fabric in the stash that matched perfectly!  This is silk tie fabric that I purchased from the Robert Talbott outlet in Carmel Valley a few years ago.  I edged the collar with some yellow piping for a little more contrast.


That's it for me today but of course, I can't leave without the latest stashbustin' stats!

Latest Stashbustin' Stats:

Yardage for this top = 1.5 yards
YTD yards sewn = 58.375 yards
Remaining yardage to reach 100 yard goal = 41.625 yards

Happy sewing everyone!

Star

No comments:

Post a Comment