Sunday, September 15, 2013

Simplicity 1539

This is a brand new pattern from Simplicity and when I first saw it on PatternReview.com, I knew I had to make it. I honestly think, this is the first time in my sewing history, that I have managed to make a pattern within the same few months of it being released.  I am very excited!
 
Misses' Knit Tunic or Top and Peplum Tops
 
I do plan on making this blouse a few times.  My first version is View E modified in a few ways.  I will not use the peplum this time, but instead extend the length by 8 inches.  Also, I want full length sleeves instead of 3/4 length.  I knew I wanted to use a stripe and also highlight the front contrasting panel with a different color so my first step is to start with a stretch.  Forgive my drawing abilities, but it gives me a basic idea of which direction I want the stripes to go.  
 
My basic drawing to determine stripe direction
And here it is!  I think it turned out quite nice!  With a little help from the drawing and a little draping before hand, I can't wait to wear it!
 
 
For the contrasting layer I used some knit swimwear fabric I had in my stash and doubled the layer instead of sewing just one (as the pattern suggests).  The double thickness has a nice drape to it and it also helped stop the stripes from showing through underneath.  Also, I tacked the pleats in place underneath the bow in the front.  This helps to maintain the shaping of the front. 
 
Close up of the contrasting panel in front

 
The matching of the stripes took some time.  This material has come bumps in it so I tried several different techniques to get them to somewhat line up.  It was similar to sewing on a velvet material.  First, I pinned every single stripe and hand turned the wheel on the sewing machine by hand, carefully removing the pins as I went.  This seemed to work ok, but a few of the stripes were still a bit off.  Next, I tried basting the side together and then sewing.  After an aching neck, I decided the pinning version worked just as well. 

Side view
 Stripes look better at a distance!


 
Stay tuned for my next version.  It will have the peplum and I have a wonderful teal knit in my stash that will work out great.  It has been aging for awhile so it's time to sew it up!

Happy Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. I like your version of this top! Great idea to you use a contrast fabric for yoke!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your stripe matching is great. Love the contrast piece on the front. Your changes to this pattern worked out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable -- you've inspired me to pick this up and add to my stash!

    ReplyDelete