Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Vogue 1331 - The Buttons

I knew it would be impossible to find buttons to match this coat so I decided to try something new. Having been recently disappointed with the new Dritz covered buttons kits I decided to try my own version.  FYI - the teeth on the new kits just aren't long enough to hold them together and they fall apart - I wrote the company, but of course never heard a reply from them.

Starting with a scrap piece of the green wool, I couched the yarn in lots of different directions.  I have a bunch of these black ball buttons in my stash and thought I would try covering them.


Next, cut out a circle larger than the button and sew a running stitch about 1/4 inch from the outside edge.

Put button inside and cinch up the thread around the button shank.

Keep cinching and sew back and forth on the back of the button until it feels secure.

Here's the front of the button - much more fitting for my coat!

And here's the back of the button.  There is just enough of the shank showing (although it's hard to see in the pic below) to be able to sew it onto the jacket.

One step closer!

That's it for today.  Until next time - Happy Sewing!


11 comments:

  1. Your right it would have been so difficult to find buttons for your jacket. You have found the perfect solution. These are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This coat is going to be quite something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Sarah Liz. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend so I can make a few quick things after its out of the sewing room.

      Delete
    2. I've got this issue too.... trying to get a coat/jacket finished because I have other projects just waiting to jump onto my sewing table! :)x

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog. You do some amazing sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! What patience you have :)x

    ReplyDelete