It's taken me awhile this month to finally decide on what to make for my January MAGAM Challenge project. I'm embarking on a big "pattern clean-out and re-org" project that's going to take awhile, but I'll be much more organized when I'm done - and - I won't keep buying the same patterns every time they go on sale at the fabric store!
Here's what I'll be making. Vogue 8834 - a Katherine Tilton pattern.
I'll be making view C - the version with the longer sleeves. The pattern calls for a whopping 17 buttons! I think I'll opt to have all different buttons rather than matching ones. This way, I can use up some of my lonely single silver buttons from the stash! And speaking of stash, yes, this will be another stashbuster project. This fabric is a wonderful cotton shirting that I picked up a few years ago at Robert Talbott's in Carmel Valley, California. It has a wonderful hand to it and I'm hoping the stripes will look great in this top.
I am concerned about that big collar so I decided to give the instructions a quick read thru first. Thank goodness I did, because I'll also be making one big change to start. The big collar is designed to be a single layer - so the backside of your fabric would show. The backside of my fabric looks ok, but some of the silver shimmer is lost so I'll make the collar in a double thickness instead.
I won't be making a muslin for this project so if any other alterations are needed - I'll make them on the fly. The instructions also say to french seam all of the seams. I'm going to skip the french seaming on this first version, but if it turns out ok and doesn't need alot of alterations, future versions will be french seamed.
That's it for now. Wish me luck!
Happy Sewing everyone!