Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2015

September MAGAM completed!

My September MAGAM Challenge is completed and I am super happy with it!  This has to be the best fitting dress I think I have ever made!


The top portion of the dress is Butterick 5353, combined with New Look 6224 for the bottom.



The Butterick skirt is more of a straight skirt and I prefer a fuller skirt that twirls better!


 I added piping to the neckline and waistline using some very unconventional supplies.  Trying to use what I had on hand, the fabric is a turquoise lycra that happened to match perfectly.  The inside of the piping is cording used to pull curtains up and down - not sure why I had this in the stash, but it turns out it makes great piping!!

Here's the neckline piping.  The dress is fully lined with a lightweight cotton.  I would normally use a rayon lining, but again, trying to use what I had on hand, the lightweight cotton was a dream to work with.  The two natural fibers worked so well together that I don't think I will ever use rayon again to line a linen garment.

After asking my readers and my local sewing guild their definition of a sewing stash, I've determined that anything you buy that doesn't have a specific purpose/pattern/idea in mind and ends up in the closet is considered part of the stash.  Soooo, based on this new determination that a fabric doesn't need to "age" for awhile before it is considered part of the stash, this garment was too a stashbushin project.

Blue/Green Linen - 2 yards
White cotton lining - 2 yards
Practice muslin fabric - .75 yards
Blue lycra for piping - .25
Total for this garment - 5 yards!

This brings my YTD total to 46.375 yards!!  Whoop!  Whoop!!

Happy sewing everyone!



8 comments:

  1. Great dress and great job making it. Your piping is beautiful. Ilove piping and often use drapery cord. I also like Number three crochet thread. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely dress. Your muslin to get the fit right was definitely worth it. The bodice neckline is beautifully flat and fits just right. TS

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely summer dress and the piping finishes it off beautifully. I line natural fibre dresses with a natural fibre lining. Keeps it cool :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute,it looks good on you!I looooove it.
    Neck line is perfect:-)

    ReplyDelete