Progress has been made on my April MAGAM Challenge!
Starting with the muslin fitting...
I traced a size 12 at the bust and hips tapering to an 8 at the waist.
The pic on the left is the dress with no changes. It was close, but there was just too much room around the middle for my liking so I started adding darts on the dress form. After adding 2 darts in the front and 2 in the back along with taking in the hips a little, I think the final fit is much more flattering. Still a little on the loose side since this is supposed to be a loose fitting sheath dress, but not so much that it will be puddling at my waist when I sit down.
More pics. Back before, during and after.
And finally the hips before, during and after.
And here are my penciled drawings trying to determine the layout I prefer. The highlight fabric placement is just too much in this location.
I like the placement at the top neckline and maybe the pockets. The stripes on the sides will be the black linen with white stripes. This is the placement I finally decided on - but I'll throw in the other designs as well so you can see the differences.
Check on the bottom here was just way, way too much!
I was close on this one too. It was my second choice.
Here's a trial-run of the fabric in the #2 placement shown above. I've added some snap tape between the two middle front sections - not sure if I'll do this in the final product or not - I'm thinking it looks a little "Rockstarish" here.
Happy sewing everyone!