Thursday, September 27, 2018

My newly decorated sewing room

Warning - lots of photos ahead!


One of the items on my list for this year was to redecorate my sewing room.  It's been about 15 years with the same look and it was time for a refresh.  One idea I wanted to try was to somehow glue patterns to one of my main walls.  When I was traveling in London a few years ago, I saw this on one of the walls inside the fabric department at Liberty Department store and I wanted to duplicate it. And low and behold, it worked!


To start my little pattern wall experiment, I needed to find a clear glaze.  After going to a few paint stores, I came across this one.  I described to the man behind the counter what I wanted to do and he thought this product would do the job.  At $50.00 a gallon, it was a bit pricey, but you never know until you try, right?


Next - find a scrap board to practice on.  Paint it white and start glazing....And low and behold, it worked!  First you roll on some glaze - it actually looks like milk, but it dries clear.  Then, carefully take one pattern piece and lay it onto the wall.  Then, roll over the pattern only one or two times with the roller full of glaze and move onto the next piece.



So now that I knew it worked, I could move onto the main wall.  First step, cut out way, way more patterns than you think you will need.  And for those concerned, no vintage patterns were sacrificed for this project.  These were mainly children's patterns, with some women's, from the 80's and 90's.

Then start glazing away!  I started in the bottom corner and just went from there.

And voila!  Before I knew it, the wall was done!


I found this fabric that kinda reminded me of pattern pieces, so my color scheme was now determined.

I made new curtains using the fabric and a back cushion for my chair.  I also purchased some lime green suede to make the tabs for the curtain and to reupholster my chair.  

I had two of these old sewing machine stands in storage.  By cleaning them up, spray painting and adding tops to them, they are now my serger and coverstitch stands.  It's great to have these two machines always out and available.  Here's the before pic for one of them.

And after.  My new coverstitch stand.

And my new serger stand.  


My computer desk is now clean and tidy and free of the extra serger I used to plop on here.  

I am over the moon with my new room!  And I absolutely love the pattern wall!  I hope you like it too! 

Latest Stashbustin' Stats:

Yardage for curtains = 2 yards
Yardage for chair = 1.5 yards
YTD yards sewn = 85.05 yards
Remaining yardage to reach 100 yard goal = 14.95 yards

Happy sewing everyone!

Star

No comments:

Post a Comment