Sunday, September 23, 2018

Vogue 1423 - My Cherry Red Dress

This Bellville Sassoon dress has been on my radar for a few years now - 4 to be exact because the pattern was released in 2014 and I quickly snapped it up.  The fabric I used is a cotton pique that I purchased at the Mill End Fabric store in Reno, Nevada a number of years ago.  I found some silk fabric for the lining at this year's sewing garage sale and it matched perfectly! 

This dress has alot of interest in the front.  Someone at work commented that it kinda looks like a Celtic cross on the front and I can see why - just look at all of those different lines!


The back is fairly simple with an invisible zipper down the center back and seam detailing which helps with the fitting. 

See how perfectly the lining matches!  I purchased 8 yards of the silk and I needed every bit of it.  After I washed the fabric, I noticed little holes had developed here and there and I needed to cut out every single piece of the lining separately to avoid the holes.  I still ended up with one hole on the center front, but I fused a piece of interfacing to it and I'm hoping that will work for awhile.  

This dress had quite a few fitting challenges for me.  The back fits quite nicely, but the front was a problem.  The bustline was just too low for me and the top of my strapless bra kept peeking out.  So, I opted to take up the shoulders by 1" total (1/2 in the back and 1/2 in the front) and that made the fit much, much better!


After raising up the shoulders, the armhole was way, way outta line so instead of trying to recut the armhole to get the small sleeves to fit, I just opted to skip the sleeves (I don't like small sleeves anyways) and do a sleeveless variation.  I used self made bias-tape to finish the armhole.  I didn't want to machine sew the bias tape to the inside, so I opted to sew it in by hand. 

All in all, I think this is a pretty nice dress!  I got quite a few compliments on it the first time I wore it to work. 


Latest Stashbustin' Stats:

Yardage for dress = 3 yards
Yardage for lining = 8 yards
YTD yards sewn = 81.55 yards
Remaining yardage to reach 100 yard goal = 18.45 yards

Happy sewing everyone!

Star

No comments:

Post a Comment