Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

January Make a Garment a Month Challenge - Done!

This is my January finished garment for the Make a Garment a Month Challenge.  The pattern is an Issey Miyake pattern by Vogue, number 1052.



The jacket is a loose fitting, lined, above hipline jacket with double draped collar, welt pockets, princess seams and back ties.  Lots and lots of topstitching as well!  I changed the single welt pocket to a double welt and added a double flap with a button.  I also shortened the sleeves by 1 1/2 inches.


Side View

The sleeves are a sort of raglan style with two pieces making up the front and back sides that marry up with two additional pieces making up the sides of the sleeves.  It forms a sort of gusset underneath the armhole.  I'm used to a more fitted, inset sleeve so these feel a little strange to me.
Back view

A special thank you to everyone that voted for the "Circles" lining.  This was left over from another project and I couldn't decide between the circles or the cherries so I put it out to vote and the Circles won!

Inside front

Inside back

For the ruffled collar, I knew I wanted to do a rolled hem on my serger because I found some variegated thread that matched perfectly.  I also knew the corners would be a bit of an issue with my new serger (lack of practice on my part), so I decided to slightly round out the corners instead and just serge away.  Below is a diagram of what I trimmed off before serging.  The collar is supposed to have a 5/8 hem zig zag hem around the edges, but I opted to keep the extra 5/8 inch rather than serging it off and have a slightly bigger collar. 


Doesn't the variegated thread look great!

Here's a close up of the rolled hem.  On the collar, both the right and wrong sides of the fabric show as you can kinda see here.  The wrong side is slightly darker.

From the side, the buttons slightly show as well.  I just used some plan buttons from my stash.  No need for fancy ones here since the collar is the main feature of the garment.

This is just a cool angle so I thought I would throw it in as well.

Here's another view of the pocket and the ruffled collar.

I think my jacket turned out pretty good and I can't wait to wear it to work tomorrow!

Happy Sewing!


17 comments:

  1. Love your jacket.. Looks so pretty on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The circle lining is certainly right for this jacket - it echoes that beautiful ruffle. You have certainly done a wonderful job on this jacket - such a gorgeous little welt pocket. I think the kimono sleeves work well for this style of jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this jacket. I have the pattern and have been wanting to make it. this looks fabulous! :)

    Lauren
    laurenphd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, just love it on you, very flattering! Super nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it - I want it to be mine! How did you do the rolled hem with the varigated thread? Cheers, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. To do the rolled hem I used the variegated thread in the upper looper on my serger and loosened the tension and had a very small stitch length.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful interpretation, I particularly appreciate your invention of the double-rolled pocket flaps. You made the jacket to match your beautiful teal earrings, right? Good move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Digs. Actually I already had those crazy earrings and they work great! Bonus!

      Delete
  7. You have a great eye for design details. I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. May I ask what kind of serger you got?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri S! I have an Elna Pro 5 DC serger. It does a wonderful, tight rolled hem and I didn't even use wooly nylon!

      Delete