Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Vogue 1331 - Thread play!

I knew this project was going to be very time consuming so it's time for something fun in the meantime.  Thread Play!  All of those cut outs need to be finished with something colorful and fun so it's time to experiment.

Here are my practice pieces.  I started with three different scraps and sewed the tweed on top of the green wool.  Trace the oval shape using a chalk marker.


Cut out just the tweed layer of said oval shape so it looks something like this:

Next are my practice fibers.  From left to right are:
- Green and purple fibers pulled from the tweed fabric.
- Green variegated cotton thread - from stash.
- Turquoise soutache braid - from stash.
- Purple variegated cotton thread - from stash.
- Variegated fuzzy yarn - from the stash too (pretty sure I picked this up at a garage sale).

Practice piece number one:  This is using the green and purple fibers pulled from the tweed fabric.  It looks ok, but doesn't pop like I was hoping.  Too matchy, matchy.  Even though I tried to make the purple stay on top, it kept getting lost in the stitching.


Next up - the turquoise soutache braid.  This was looking ok and I tried to combine it with some of the pulled threads as well.  The pulled threads seemed to just get lost in the mix.


Here's a closer look.  I used just plain green thread on this one instead of the variegated thread.


Next up - the fuzzy yarn. This one is looking promising.

Close up of the fuzzy yarn.  

And here's all three.  My vote is for the fuzzy yarn.  What do you think?

That's it for now.  Next task - fitting the sleeves - yick!

Until next time - Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Why not use all three? It would give a very rich look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I'll do a sample of all three and see!

      Delete