Monday, March 3, 2014

Sewing Workshop Bells Shirt

The Sewing Workshops' Bells Shirt featured on the cover of Threads Magazine - August/September 2011 was the inspiration behind this blouse.




Here's my version.  I used three different fabrics in this blouse.  The main blue is a wonderful Italian cotton I purchased at the Robert Talbott outlet in Carmel Valley, CA.   The two coordinating fabrics are quilting cottons.  The lighter one - an aboriginal print, was purchased at a quilt show and the darker floral was purchased at Ben Franklin in Grass Valley.  



The back has two fitting carts and a shirt tail hem.  I made a size small and it's rather roomy.  

The bands around the cuffs and the placket are sewn with the floral print.

And the cuff lining with the aboriginal print.

There are three different bands that make up the front button closure.  Two that actually function to hold the blouse closed and one flap that just hangs there that you can button in different ways using the buttons in the front.  I also wanted to highlight all of the different colors going on in the fabrics, so I used different colored buttons down the front.

I used the aboriginal print for the under collar and the floral for the shoulder patch.

This project really made you think when cutting out the fabrics and sewing everything together.  I did a line drawing when I finally decided what I wanted so I wouldn't forget the order.  This came in very handy because it took a few hours each weekend to finally finish it.  Everytime I wear it, I get a bunch of compliments.  It is quite fun to wear and very comfortable.

Until next time - Happy Sewing!



2 comments:

  1. I like how you integrated fabrics with different patterns. I have never learned to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annette. I did play with various fabrics for quite awhile before deciding upon these.

    ReplyDelete