Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Upcycled Christmas Tree Garland

How to create a Christmas Tree Garland from felted sweaters.

 
Start with a few previously felted sweaters. I used 3 sweaters for this garland.


 
Cut out two circles from cardstock or tagboard to use as a template.  I used a 1.5 inch circle for the outer circle and a 1 inch circle for the inner.  Use this template to cut out lots and lots of circles from the felted sweaters.  I kept these circles in glass jars until I was ready to start sewing.  This is a great mindless project to do in front of the t.v. 


Next, decide on what color thread you would like to sew the garland together.  I chose a red, polyester thread.  A topstitching thread would be a great choice as well.  Then, line up your circles edge to edge and start sewing them together in a continuous line.  I like to stack a small circle on a large circle to add a little more color, but you don't have to.  Just simply line up the circles assembly line style and sew them together in a straight line. 


Note: you may need to slightly lift up the presser foot to accommodate the increased thickness of two circles.
 
 
 
The finished product!  Since it's July at the moment, I don't have a Christmas tree up so I decided to use one of the bushes in my front yard as a model.  Can't wait to see what it looks like on the Christmas Tree this year!
 
 

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment