The fabrics and trims for this top all came from the stash. The "faces" print, was purchased at the ASG Sewing Garage Sale earlier this year. The polka dot used for the sleeves and pockets has been in the stash for a long time and the trims - well - one of them I know is older than I am as it was passed onto me from my grandmother.
The "faces" fabric is very, very drapey, so I knew it would work well for this top. The polka dot fabric - not so drapey, but it's ok in the places I used it. The "faces" fabric was just wide enough to cut out the front and back pieces - being extra careful of the face placement so one didn't fall on my boob or right in the middle of my backside! I barely had enough fabric leftover to squeek out the one pocket front out of the faces fabric too.
I am looking forward to wearing this top when our weather finally starts cooling down. It was 89 degrees outside when my dear Mom snapped these pics and we were both starting to sweat - especially with leggings and boots on! Thank goodness we found some shade in the backyard.
Here's the trim I mentioned earlier that is older than I am. The neckline and one of the pockets is trimmed with it and I think the bronze portion of the trim is made from actual metal! It's a bit scratchy and it has sharp edges to it. I sewed the entire neckline trim on by hand as my machine was having nothing to do with it. This top will have to be a handwash only item as I'm sure this trim would snag the rest of the garment if it went thru a regular wash. Who knows - it's so old that it might just fall apart the first time it is washed too!
Here the pocket front cut from the faces fabric. It too is trimmed with the metal braid.
The other pocket edge is trimmed with the faces fabric and if you can believe this - that fancy trim on the edge - well - I had a 1/2 inch to spare on that piece - which means it was meant to be! I think it was leftover from a pillow I made years ago.
I've done fairly good this month for the September Sew for 30 projects. I've completed 9 out of the 10 I had planned. The only item left is the garment bag - which is cut out and the bias tape completed - I just need to sew it together. Hoping to finish that one this weekend and then I'm onto other projects.
I hope everyone has enjoyed incorporating 30 minutes a day of sewing into their schedule. I know I have - especially after my nearly two hour commute home on Wednesday due to an accident and traffic jam - I couldn't wait to relax a bit in front of the sewing machine.
Here are the stats for this project:
Total yardage for this top = 2 yards
Total YTD yardage = 91.125
Happy sewing everyone!